10 Groovy Facts about Daisies
- Daisies can literally grow anywhere on earth except Antarctica but I think we can give them a break on that one.
2. Each flower has a message and according to the Language of Flowers, the daisy brings a message of innocence and purity.
- Daisies are a rich source of vitamin C. Some people believe it has a pleasant taste. Some daisy varieties can be used in salads, soups and sandwiches. Both flowers and leaves are edible but we haven’t tried this one out yet.
- Daisies are a biennial plant, which means that its life cycle ends after two years.
5. If not controlled, some daisies can become serious weeds and this is because they thrive in generally cold conditions and are resistant to most bugs and pesticides.
- Daisies belong to one of the largest families of plants in the world, the 'vascular plants family'. This means that they can circulate nutrients and water throughout the plant.
- A daisy is actually two flowers in one. The coloured petals count as one flower and the cluster of tiny yellow disc petals that form the 'eye' is technically another.
- Daisies are sometimes used in homeopathy to accelerate healing after surgical procedures and to ease backache. It is also used to treat injuries in animals.
- In the northern United States, the English Daisy is a serious weed.
- Daisies make up almost 10% of all flowering plants on Earth.