Writing a sympathy card is not an easy task. Sometimes it is hard to find the right words or wonder what would be comforting for the recipient to hear and often we worry that we will say the wrong thing.
Even though it's not easy it is important to find some comforting words to say. Obviously our words can’t take away the pain from the grieving person but it will make them feel loved and supported. They will know you are thinking of them and when they are ready, they will make contact with you.
When thinking about words to say in a sympathy card we recommend keeping it simple and short. You can still come across as warm and sincere with a brief message.
Here are some examples of key phrases for a sympathy card message;
- We are so sorry for your loss.
- We hope you feel surrounded by much love.
- Sending healing prayers and comforting hugs. I am so sorry for your loss.
- With deepest sympathy as you remember (the late Mr or Mrs).
- We were saddened to hear that your (the late Mr or Mrs) passed away. Our thoughts are with you and your family.
- Remembering your wonderful (the late Mr or Mrs) and wishing you comfort.
- Thinking of you all as you celebrate your (the late Mr or Mrs) remarkable life.
- We are missing (the late Mr or Mrs) along with you. With heartfelt sympathy,
- Thinking of you and wishing you moments of peace and comfort as you remember (the late Mr or Mrs) who was so close to you.
- Our family is keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.
- Holding you close in my thoughts and hoping you are doing OK
- Thinking of your family with love and wanting to help out in any way I can, we are just a phone call away.
- I know this must be a very difficult and demanding time for you all. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. If there is anything we can do, please let us know.
Here are some examples of how you can sign off your card message;
With deepest sympathy,
With heartfelt sympathy,
With sincere sympathy,
With warm thoughts and prayers,
Thinking of you,
Caring thoughts are with you,
My heart goes out to you,
Please accept our condolences,
My sincere condolences,
It's a good idea to write a few notes down and prepare the card message before you order flowers. Sometimes when you are put on the spot you don't think of all the things you should have said.
As we mentioned its not easy to write a sympathy card message but we hope these simple tips will help you.
Love Justine x